NOTE! It is highly advised, that you should have some cash with you when you arrive to Finland/Vaasa. It may take some time to open a bank account and you also might need some cash to make some purchases in the beginning before you will be able to visit the bank. In many shops you can use your international credit or debit card, but not in all. So please, remember to have some cash with you!
- Banks are open Monday to Friday, opening hours vary
- There is a queuing system in most banks. Take a number from the machine and wait for your turn.
- To open a bank account you need to present a valid passport and a certificate showing that the student is enrolled to VAMK. Different banks have different rules for opening an account
- Major credit cards are generally accepted everywhere in Finland.
- Most common Cash Machines (ATM) in Finland are called OTTO, and they are easily recognised by their orange coloured signs.
Hairdressers are usually private entrepreneurs and there is usually only one hairdresser (or not more than 2) in one place. Usually you have to book a time to a hairdresser some days or even a week in advance. Hairdressers´ are usually open from Monday to Friday 9:00-17:00 and on Saturdays 9:00-13:00.
The general rule: 'parturi' does basic haircuts for both men and women, whereas 'kampaamo' ja 'kampaaja' usually specialize in more complicated hairdos. However, exceptions do exist.
Restaurants, pubs, bars and night clubs in Vaasa
Bars and night clubs require the minimun age of 18 years, but some bars have their own age limits higher than that. In order to prove your age, have your passport or an equivalent ID-card with you.
Pharmacies (Apteekki) in Vaasa can be found in different areas of the city. Pharmacies are usually open Mon-Fri 9 a.m -6/8 p.m. and Sat 9 a.m -1/4 p.m. Every week one of the pharmacies in the city center is on duty Mon-Sat 9 a.m -10 p.m and Sun 10 a.m - 10 p.m.
Pharmacies in the city center:
- Keskusapteekki (Hovioikeudenpuistikko 15 - close to the market squere)
- Kirkkoapteekki (Hovioikeudenpuistikko 9 – close to the Vaasa City Church)
- Vanha Apteekki (Vaasanpuistikko 13)
- Kuninkaan apteekki (Kuninkaantie 72-74, in Huutoniemi)
- Palosaaren apteekki (Palosaarentie 16, in Palosaari )
- Vetokannaksen apteekki (Gerbyntie 14, in Vetokannas)
Medicines are sold only in pharmacies and for stronger medication a prescription from a doctor is needed.