The programme in Project Management focuses on providing students with skills and competencies to work in both local and an international project environment. This master ́s degree is suitable for business and engineering professionals interested in project management, and who want to assume project managerial and leadership positions in their organizations.
You can apply if you have
- Bachelor degree completed in the field of engineering
- Bachelor degree in the field of Business Administration
- Master degree in Business Administration
- Master degree in Engineering
- Work experience of 24 months after graduation. Read more here.
Students are project managers, IT- and energy professionals and business consultants.
The degree conforms with the standards set by the Finnish national degree system as well as with the European framework for degrees and competences. It gives a qualification for a public appointment where a master's degree is required. The program also includes courses which can lead to professional certification in project management.
Contents of the studies
The Master ́s degree in Project Management is a two-year programme, and the mode of the study is part-time tuition. Lectures are scheduled twice a month on Saturdays. These lectures are held at VAMK every other month and at SeAMK every other month. The degree programme has been developed and is carried out in co-operation with the Master ́s program in Business Management at Seinäjoki University of Applied Sciences (SeAMK).
Check the curricula in Project Management
The courses contain
- team work
- individual readings
- online work
The learning goals of the program aim to reach the level C in IPMA certification.
The program focuses on issues like motivation and team building in international and global projects, as well as tools for effective project management and research methods. Also socio-cultural aspects which influence international projects are being studied. This module includes six courses (30 ECTS), and a master ́s thesis (30ECTS). There are also free-choice studies and a possibility to get a professional qualification in project management.
The compulsory studies include
- strategic project management
- project finance and legal environment
- project planning
- leadership in global projects
- project monitoring and controlling
All students will complete a thesis work. Students working in the project management positions have the opportunity to undertake a thesis work which develops skills in evaluating different project management methods and tools that can benefit their own organization. The writing of the thesis will enable students to develop their academic rigour in both research methodology and reflective practice through a series of courses that are part of the study.
In the first semester you develop your knowledge of the fundamental principles of the discipline; in the second and third semesters you will be systematically introduced to the contexts and realities of practical project management through case studies and discussion with professional project managers.
After completing the courses, you have the skills to
• develop and apply appropriate project management methodologies to suit different projects in local and international contexts
• communicate across culturally diverse projects
• develop the ability to take a leadership role in project, program and portfolio management
• form, select and apply creative problem-solving skills to all stages of the project life cycle
• develop critical thinking and research skills to a range of project and program management contexts
The degree programme has been developed on the basis of the feedback from the local industry.
After graduation you will qualify for leading positions in project teams or in positions related to the development of systems for project selection, evaluation and/or project management in multicultural environments in both public and private sectors. Your job title might be project manager or project engineer or contain different aspects of project management.
Printable version (pdf)