VAMK Strategy 2030
Our ambition to be an interesting and creative partner, a link between the world of work and students, is crystallised in our vision and mission. We promote skills and know-how as well as development work that is based on the needs of the world of work. Societal impact requires enthusiasm, innovation, courage and ability to solve.
Vision: Your main partner in expertice
Mission: We create competetive edge for key players in the business sector by coaching future talent and providing a peoneering perspective.
We are easily approachable. We trust and respect everyone as a person and work as a team.
Together we have the courage to be inspired, inspire others and be creative, we are allowed to experiment. We develop our skills and expertise in a goal- and future-oriented way.
We anticipate and know the needs and expectations of both students and the world of work, to which we respond in a solution-oriented and innovative way.
Our openness constructs social dialogue and interaction.
Greetings from our President Kati
“Our new strategy is an inspiring one. Its sympathetic approach is based on our core values of being open, pioneering and customer-driven. We live in active interaction with our operational environment and develop our societal impact and interaction through openness.
We want to be the main partner in expertise to our own people – our students and staff – and to our partners and the society in which we live, both nationally and internationally.
Our cross cutting expertise in technology, business, social services, health care and design allows us to meet complex problems in society in a multidisciplinary way.
Our graduates enhance the vitality and expertise of the region locally, nationally and internationally.
This strategy is easy to commit to, since it fits naturally into our day-to-day activities”.
Societal impact and interaction in Vaasa University of Applied Sciences
Vaasa University of Applied Sciences is a working life-driven and business live -positive university. In accordance with the Universities of Applied Sciences Act, it is our task to provide education that meets the requirements of working life and its development, which leads to employment in vocational expert positions. At the same time, we support the student’s professional growth an the ideology of lifelong learning. (Universities of Applied Sciences Act 932/2014.)
t is our task to engage in regional development and applied research, development and innovation activities that renew the region’s economic structure. The basis of our societal impact is built on the quality of our operations and on active cooperation with working life.
We engage in an active dialogue based on partnerships with our long-term, committed partners. Our partnership with the key companies is systematic, results-driven, anticipatory and dialogical. In accordance with our strategy, we want to be the most important partner in competence. Continuous analysis of the operating environment with the actors in our area is anticipatory, and therefore we are able to provide the expertise needed in the area.
We want to provide education and continuous learning in wide-ranging networks, we speak about our work and participate in building a Competent Finland. International connections are an everyday matter to us. We advance the integration of our foreign degree students into the Finnish society and working life. Societal interaction is a part of the daily work of every one of the members of our community, as well as maintaining a dialogue with our partners and alumni. The student union is a key partner for us with whom we build our degree of recognition and engage in a dialogue so that together, we are societal influencers and actors.
The societal influence of Vaasa University of Applied Sciences consists of several areas that are described in the image below (Image 1.). The follow-up associated with these areas takes place in the management team.
Every member of the community of Vaasa University of Applied Sciences commits for his or her part to advancing our societal influence and interaction.
This statement is in force until further notice.
Vaasa, 1 October 2020
Focus areas – VAMK’s profiling expertise
Smart energy efficient electrical engineering:
Design expertise, modern digitalised production technologies and project management
Business competence in the export industry
Socially sustainable, ethical and reforming health care and social welfare services
Design of market-oriented and sustainable product and service systems, as well as industrial, and health care and social welfare services
Areas for Development
We want to be the main partner in expertise
Vaasa University of Applied Sciences, VAMK, is a novel, active and desired partner combining higher education with working life. The content of education is based on the needs of working life, and this collaboration benefits both parties.
In addition to expertise, VAMK offers opportunities for continuous learning. This is ensured by flexible study paths and digitalisation in close cooperation with other higher education institutions in the region.
Strategic collaboration agreements are concluded and developed further. This makes it possible for our teaching staff to work in partner companies and experts from working life to provide teaching. Structured, developing and expanding collaboration becomes stable and mutual.
- Working life cooperation also focuses on RDI and service activities as well as interna-tionality and bilingualism. The UAS deepens its collaboration with SMEs.
- All degree programmes work in collaboration with secondary education institutions.
- Teaching cooperation with the University of Vaasa is expanded.
- Open UAS course supply is increased.
- Open UAS
- Study credits completed in specialisation studies
Our cooperation agreement partners:
- The city of Vaasa
- Social- & healthcare
- Vaasa central Hospital
- Vaasan Sähkö Oy
- Viria Oyj
- Wapice Oy
Together we promote our region’s vitality
Vaasa University of Applied Sciences aims at increasing and expanding its RDI and service activities in a sustainable and controlled way as part of a national and international network. The UAS actively creates networks with operators in the region.
- VAMK is a member of the Robocoast consortium that supports export companies in the coastal region.
- Our RDI projects include 150 corporate partners each year. The goal is to raise the number of partners to 250 by 2024.
- The UAS projects that are based on the needs of working life must have an impact on society and challenge companies to develop as well.
- The projects are communicated using multiple channels.
- Vaasa University of Applied Sciences is strongly committed to open science and research principles.
- The UAS develops cooperation platforms and builds novel forms of cooperation with interest groups.
- The university will be carbon neutral by 2030.
- Volume of external project funding
- Number of publications
- Number of enterprises involved in RDI projects
Our graduates are international experts
VAMK is focused on training international experts for the export-oriented working life of the region. Our students have the international experience required by export-oriented operators.
- Together with companies, employment authorities and the ELY Centre, we develop an operating model promoting labour immigration and improving the training opportunities and employment of foreign students. The UAS will initiate preparatory education for immigrants.
- At VAMK, each student receives opportunities for internationalisation through training, student exchange and study modules organised with international cooperation partners.
- RDI projects with strategic international partners are carried out in an increasingly ambitious way.
- We recruit more employees of foreign origin.
- Credits completed in an international exchange (out & in)
- IOL studies
- Number of international degree students
- Preparatory training for immigrants
- Additive manufacturing (3D printing)
- Well-being and health technology
- Patient safety
- International trade logistics
- Sustainable product and service solutions
- Carbon neutrality and circular economy in environmental technology
- Creating research and innovation environments for industry and health and social services to be used for the joint development and fast prototyping between higher education institutions and working life using VR and AR technologies.
- New Space Economy: smart product and service solutions for business and the fields of energy, IT, design and logistics.
Smooth studies point the way to success
Our aim is that VAMK students are happy with the quality of teaching and complete their studies in the agreed schedule while keeping healthy. Higher education cooperation is deepened, in particular with the University of Vaasa and Novia.
- Through cooperation in higher education, our study supply gets widened and research can also be carried out in shared facilities.
- We strengthen our research, development and innovation activities, learning environments and digitality with the University of Vaasa.
- We work towards flexible studies and continuous learning.
- Career follow-up survey, financing model questions
- Cooperation studies of universities
- Employment a year after graduation
An inspiring work community is a good place to be
Vaasa University of Applied Sciences strives to improve employee wellbeing. Healthy, inspired and motivated staff can reach better results.
- Sense of community and staff participation is increased. Leadership and work community skills are developed to strengthen staff motivation, skill and working capacity.
- We perform ambitious cooperation with occupational health and pension companies.
- Staff is offered the opportunity to update their skills through the partner network.
- Work community survey (Työyhteisövire)