Vaasa University of Applied Sciences will return to campuses from August, made possible by the favorable coronavirus situation in Finland. Contact teaching and exam sessions that require supervision are held on campuses.
Be on the campus only when completely healthy and always practice good hand and cough hygiene.
VAMK's students, staff and stakeholders are effectively protected and a safe study and work environment is made possible. To achieve this, every member of our college community is encouraged to commit to our common rules of the game.
The development of the corona situation is monitored daily at VAMK. The preparedness group meets weekly and, if necessary, takes measures to ensure a safe working and study environment. The parties will be notified of the changes.
As a rule, teaching is arranged as contact teaching
Vaasa University of Applied Sciences will return to campuses from August, made possible by the favorable coronavirus situation in Finland.
- Contact teaching, workshops and supervised exam sessions are held on campus
- Some of the courses can be implemented as hybrid work, in which case distance and distance learning alternate so that a safe teaching environment can be guaranteed for everyone.
- Hybrid can also mean that lectures are considered face-to-face and streamed to remote participants
- Your teachers will tell and instruct how each course will be completed
- As a rule, the teaching of groups of more than 40 students is carried out by distance learning. When the number reaches 50, teaching is always arranged as distance teaching according to the instructions of the Board of Education.
Services on campuses
Libraries, study offices and the HelpDesk, as well as international and applicant services, normally serve on campuses and online.
- Contact the study office primarily electronically.
- Adequate safety clearances and good hand hygiene are ensured when dealing with the library and the study office. Be sure to follow the safety instructions provided.
- Student health services are available.
Safe study environment on campus
A prerequisite for a safe return to campuses is responsible cooperation. This means that you can move on the campus only if you are completely healthy and you must always practice good hand and cough hygiene. In all VAMK's operations, the aim is to practice social distancing. If necessary, the university provides protective equipment for students, for example in workshops.
- Don't come to VAMK's premises if not completely healthy. If you have any virus-like symptoms such as stomach upset, dry cough, fatigue, muscle aches, congestion, or suspect you may have been exposed to the virus, do not come to campus but apply for a corona test as instructed by student health or your local community.
- Always maintain a safety distance of at least 1-2 meters in classrooms, canteens, corridors and other VAMK premises when moving.
- Protective masks are always used in teaching if safety distances cannot be guaranteed. In laboratory and other proximity work, students and staff wear protective masks without exception.
- A student who is unable to commit to the use of a protective mask may be removed from class for general safety.
- Classrooms are equipped with disinfection wipes. Wipe your tools with them after using.
- If the Koronavilkku app reports potential exposure, we recommend switching to distance learning or working for 2 weeks and following the instructions of the health authorities.
Hand and cough hygiene
Every member of the UAS community contributes to good hand hygiene. Careful and repeated hand washing and the use of hand disinfectant are an important part of VAMK's daily routines. Immediately upon arrival at the campus facilities, moving from one facility or class to another, and otherwise as necessary, care will be taken to wash hands and use hand disinfectant.
A disposable handkerchief is used for coughing and sneezing, after which it is immediately placed in the trash. If there is no handkerchief, cough or sneeze on the sleeve but not on the hands.
Read more on THL's website.
Extensive use of face masks begins immediately at VAMK
In Alere's simulation classes and Technobotnia workshops, students and staff always wear protective masks. A student who is unable to commit to the use of a protective mask in Alere and Technobotnia's workshop session may be removed from the space to ensure public safety. VAMK provides protective equipment in these situations. The instructions are valid until further notice.
Practice sosial distancing
Adequate safety distances will be maintained on campus. The recommended safety distance is one to two meters. Adequate safety clearances must be provided, especially when staying in or queuing in corridors and lobby areas.
- Safety intervals are taken into account in breaks and lounges and it is hoped that stays in these locations are limited to a minimum. These locations are entered and exited via disinfecting you hands.
- Adequate safety distances between students are taken into account in the teaching facilities. You must not come to contact or take an exam ill or symptomatically. If safety distances cannot be guaranteed in a study situation or exam, face shields will be provided for those students who do not have their own.
- Adequate safety distances between examiners are taken into account in the examination rooms. You must not come to the exam sick or symptomatic.
Use of protective equipment
Students are provided with protective masks in teaching when it is not possible to maintain safety distances (e.g. workshops). Your own protective mask may be used in accordance with discretion and national guidelines. In the workshops, we offer students protective masks.
Cleaning and wiping surfaces
Cleaning has already been further intensified at VAMK and is carried out in accordance with THL's instructions. Disinfectant wipes are also available in the classes.
If you suspect coronavirus infection or are at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19
You must not enter VAMK's premises when you are ill or symptomatic. Should any symptoms occur, it is the responsibility of each member of the higher education community to apply for corona testing without delay in accordance with the instructions he or she has received from student health care or health care in his or her place of residence. Anyone who knows the symptoms or suspects exposure can fill out an assessment of their well-being through omaolo.fi.
Please contact your healthcare provider first by phone or digital means.
The risk groups
Students belonging to a risk group as defined by THL submit a certificate of health care to the group tutor and opo. The aim is to organize the studies in co-operation between the teacher and the student so that there is no risk of exposure.
For users of the Koronavilkku app
If you use the Koronavilkku app and receive a notification of exposure to the coronavirus, you can contact healthcare by e-mail: email@example.com, e-mails will be answered on weekdays during office hours. Call by phone on 040 190 6481 Mon - Fri 10 am - 2 pm.
If you have symptoms of the flu (fever, cough, shortness of breath, stomach symptoms) within 7 to 10 days of receiving the message, please call your health center to make an appointment.
Travelling abroad and in Finland
If you are arriving from abroad, regardless of your country of departure, you must remain in a voluntary 14-day quarantine, in which case you will not be able to participate in contact teaching.
- As a rule, student exchanges are not carried out during the autumn semester. Discuss about the matter with the international services. Some of the students have already agreed on the matter and, being aware of the risks and in accordance with the instructions of the host university, the student exchange can take place.
- Student travel, for example as part of a project or course, is always assessed on a case-by-case and risk-based basis. This is the responsibility of VAMK's safety manager (firstname.lastname@example.org) in cooperation with the student and the teacher responsible for the trip.
- Students must consider the risks associated with private travel abroad. This may require a two-week quarantine by the authority, during which no access to the campuses is possible. Students can ask for help with their travel-related questions through email@example.com.
- When traveling in Finland, the recommendations issued by the Government must be followed. The recommendation to use a face mask is valid in the Vaasa Hospital District.
Check nationwide Travel Guidelines and Quarantine Recommendations.
Events on campus
For the programmes taught in English the studies commence as distance learning on 31 August 2020. Other events are also organized primarily remotely. If this is not possible, ensure up-to-date instructions already at the event planning stage by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Organizing the event this autumn requires a permit issued by VAMK's preparedness team. It is essential that the organizer ensures in advance that adequate security arrangements can be made for the event, starting with social distancing and other protection.