Are you interested in trying studies in Energy Engineering?
This online course introduces the dynamic and evolving field of energy engineering. As the world grapples with energy challenges, this course aims to equip students with an understanding of present-day energy scenarios, technologies, and their environmental impacts, and the global energy landscape. Through a blend of theoretical knowledge and current case studies, students will explore the various facets of energy engineering, setting a strong foundation for further specialized studies.
The course is organized online and in English. For active participation, sufficient English language skills are needed. This course requires basic understanding of high school-level physics and chemistry.
This course is part of the study module Get Excited about Learning – Preparation Studies for Higher Education in Finland which has been developed and organized by the project Supporting the Future Belief of People in Need of Special Protection (TUKSU). The project is funded by the Ministry of Education and Culture in Finland.
Preparation Studies for Higher Education in Finland
The study module Get Excited about Learning – Preparation Studies for Higher Education in Finland provides you an insight into studying in higher education and VAMK University of Applied Sciences. Studying in the study module gives you an opportunity to get to know Finnish culture and working life and develop your study skills. During these studies, you are also able to develop your English language skills. The study units are designed especially for individuals who are in temporary protection in Finland.
- This course is for individuals who want to pursue their higher education studies in the field of Energy Engineering.
- The course is designed especially for individuals who are in protection in Finland.
- The course introduces you to Energy Engineering as a field of study. You are able to see if the field is suitable for you to study in the future.
- The course offers you preparation for higher education studies in Energy Engineering.
After completion of this course you will:
- Understand Basic Concepts and fundamental principles of energy engineering, including key technologies and their applications.
- Develop Energy Literacy and gain a basic understanding of energy’s role in educational, societal and environmental contexts.
- Analyse Contemporary Issues by learning to evaluate and discuss current trends and challenges in energy engineering.
- Cultivate Critical Thinking by encouraging speculative and curious thinking about future innovations and solutions in the energy sector.
The course is designed to be interactive and engaging, with each module building on the last, ensuring a basic understanding of energy engineering. This course will lay a foundation for students, inspiring them to delve deeper into specific areas of interest in subsequent courses or professional pursuits.
- Module 1: Introduction to VAMK and Energy Engineering
- Welcoming students to the Vaasa University of Applied Sciences (VAMK) and its digital platforms. Introduction to the exciting world of energy engineering, its significance in today’s world, and a preview of the course.
- Module 2: Basic Principles of Energy Engineering
- Delving into the core concepts of energy engineering. Exploration of energy sources, conversion, and management techniques, using real-world examples.
- Module 3: Energy, Society, and Environment
- Introduction: Discussing energy in the context of its societal and environmental impacts. Exploration of energy literacy concepts, including sustainable energy solutions and their alignment with global goals.
- Objective: Foster a holistic understanding of energy’s role in society and its environmental implications, guided by the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals.
- Module 4: Current Trends in Energy Engineering
- A deep dive into the latest trends and innovations in the field, such as renewable energy technologies, smart grids, and energy storage solutions.
- Module 5: Integrating Knowledge and Looking Forward
- Synthesizing knowledge from previous modules, this module encourages forward-thinking by examining potential future advancements in energy engineering.
- The course also includes exercises on mathematics and physics.
Mode of Teaching and Methods
This is a guided online course. The course is delivered entirely online, utilizing a combination of synchronous and asynchronous learning methods.
The material will be given by the teachers.
The assessment is based on the student’s active participation, independent study, timely completion of assignments, group work, and possible exams.
Schedule and Location
- Online lectures:
- Wednesday 6 March (2.15 pm – 3.45 pm)
- Wednesday 20 March (2.15 pm – 3.45 pm)
- Wednesday 3 April (2.15 pm – 3.45 pm)
- There are also online meetings for students to get support in completing assignments in physics and mathematics. The exact times for those meetings will be announced after the course starts.
Information related to the course:
Lecturer Shekhar Satpute, shekhar.satpute(at)vamk.fi
Information related to the enrolment or other practical information:
– Supporting the Future Belief of People in Need of Special Protection
The study module Get Excited about Learning has been developed by the project TUKSU – Supporting the Future Belief of People in Need of Special Protection which develops education that creates hope and faith in the future for persons in need of special protection. The project is funded by the Ministry of Education and Culture in Finland.