Preparation Studies for Higher Education in Finland
Are you thinking about starting higher education studies in Finland? Would you like to find out what kinds of studies would be suitable for you while also developing your study ability?
The study module Get Excited about Learning – Preparation Studies for Higher Education in Finland provides you an insight into studying in higher education and VAMK. These studies give you an opportunity to improve your English language skills, get to know Finnish culture and working life and develop your study skills. The study module is designed especially for individuals who are in temporary protection in Finland.
- The study module consists of eight bachelor-level (level 6) online courses. You can learn more about the study levels in Finland here.
- You can utilize these studies as a part of your future degree.
- Studies are in English. For active participation, sufficient English language skills are needed.
Do you want to hear more about the study module?
Join our information session on Thursday 14 December 2023 (4 pm) to hear more about the study module and ask questions about the courses organized in spring 2024!
Content of the study module
The student can choose to study one or more courses depending on their interests.
The course offering in the autumn of 2023 include the following courses:
- Getting excited about studying: a sneak peek to higher education and VAMK (2 ECTS)
- This course will give you an insight into what it is to study in higher education, especially at VAMK. You will gain knowledge about higher education in Finland and different study opportunities at VAMK.
- You can do it in English! Preparation course for studying in English (3 ECTS)
- This course helps you improve your English language skills and prepare you for studying in higher education in English.
- The meaning of studying: dreams, goals, and steps (3 ECTS)
- This course encourages you to think about what it is you want to achieve in your life or with your (current or future) studies. What are your goals, and how can you reach those goals? This course helps you to develop your self-knowledge and study ability and recognize your competencies.
The study module’s courses for spring 2024 include the following courses:
- Cultural knowledge and communication skills (3 ECTS)
- During this course, you can develop your learning about culture. The course will help you to develop your intercultural awareness and communication skills.
- Future working life skills (3 ECTS)
- This course will get you familiar with the skills needed in your future working life and learn to recognize and develop your skills. During the course, you can ponder about anticipating skills needed in the future working life and how to adjust your competencies to those needs.
- Introductory courses for studying VAMK’s disciplines:
- Business Administration (5 ECTS)
- Energy Engineering (5 ECTS)
- Health Care and Social Services (5 ECTS)
– Supporting the Future Belief of People in Need of Special Protection
The study module Get Excited about Learning has been developed by the project TUKSU – Supporting the Future Belief of People in Need of Special Protection which develops education that creates hope and faith in the future for persons in need of special protection. The project is funded by the Ministry of Education and Culture in Finland.
- These studies are suitable for individuals who are interested in getting familiar with higher education studies in Finland and VAMK University of Applied Sciences.
- For those who want to improve their English language skills, these studies are a great way to develop your language skills for studying in higher education.
- These studies are suitable for individuals who want to improve their learning methods and study ability.
- These studies are designed especially for individuals who are in temporary protection in Finland.
- You get familiar with higher education studies in Finland.
- You are introduced to VAMK and the study opportunities it offers – you have the option to study introductory courses for studying in Business Administration, Energy Engineering, and Health Care and Social Services. The introductory course gives you an opportunity to see if studies in the field could be a suitable option for you in the future. In addition, introductory courses prepare you for further studies in University of Applied Sciences.
- You develop your English language skills.
- You get familiar with different ways of learning and develop your study skills.
- You develop intercultural awareness and cultural understanding.
- You get familiar with Finnish culture, study, and working life.
Methods of implementation
- All courses in the study module are online courses and taught in English.
- The courses consist of self-study, online classes, group work, and different assignments. Usually, courses have weekly online classes.
- Students get personal guidance and support during their studies in the study module.
- One credit (ECTS) means approximately 27 hours of work for the student.
Enrolment for courses arranged in spring 2024 is now open! Enrol for the spring courses by 4 January 2024.
You can choose one, several or all the courses you wish to participate in the study module.
Please note that all courses provided in the study module are free of charge for individuals in temporary protection in Finland. For other students, normal fees for Vamk Open UAS studies apply for the courses organized in spring 2024.